In the final moments of the Eastern Conference finals, the Knicks faced the Cavaliers, a team with a championship pedigree.
The Knicks, led by Carmelo Anthony, won the series, and Anthony was the best player on the floor.
The next day, however, it was announced that the NBA would reclassify Carmelo as a “retired player” with a salary cap of $20 million, which was $10 million less than the maximum cap the Knicks could have signed him under the CBA.
This meant the Knicks were forced to give up their second-round pick and $2 million in guaranteed money for the 2016 draft.
The team made the decision on the spot.
“We thought that if we didn’t get the second pick in the draft, we would be playing with a really small cap,” the Knicks’ head coach is quoted as saying in a New York Post article that aired Sunday.
“And we knew that was going to be a real big problem for us.”
Carmelo was not only a star, he was a good player.
“The Knicks have an obligation to make sure they have a very good young core of players in place,” NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said at the time.
“I don’t think it’s the right time to be playing young players and not have a really good young player in place.”
Carmelos salary cap was $20.5 million, making him one of the highest paid players in the NBA.
The NBA’s new rule was to reduce that number to $16.5 in 2020 and $14.5 by 2022, a figure that had been set at $18 million.
This led to a backlash.
“It’s an embarrassment,” Knicks owner James Dolan said at a press conference after the decision was announced.
“This was never a cap on the Carmelo trade.
It was a cap of a very talented player that was traded for a very bad player.
It’s a big deal that we lost this opportunity.”
The backlash continued for months.
Fans across the country rallied around the team, and some players and owners even threatened to walk away from the team if the league didn’t make the change.
But that was the last straw for Carmelo.
“He was always one of those guys that just took it on the chin and never really cared what anybody said or did or what anybody thought,” teammate Carmelo Thomas told reporters this past June.
“That’s the type of guy he was, but you know what?
He didn’t care.”
Carmella’s future Carmelo’s career is now uncertain.
After being traded by the Knicks, Carmelo signed a four-year, $24 million contract with the Toronto Raptors, who are owned by Maple Leafs owner Brendan Shanahan.
“My father was one of my favorite players, and his career will be over,” Carmelo tweeted after signing his contract with Toronto.
“Thank you to the Raptors organization and the fans who were behind me.
Thank you to my teammates and friends for believing in me.
I’m sure everyone will remember my father’s passion and determination and passion for the game of basketball.
My time in Toronto is now over.”
Carmello’s future is uncertain for now, but the decision to reclassifying him as a retired player was not the only one made in CarmeloAnthony’s future.
After the Cavs lost to the Bulls, the NBA announced that Carmelo had been diagnosed with prostate cancer.
“As a player, you’re supposed to be the player that’s leading the team,” Anthony said in a press release announcing his diagnosis.
“If he wasn’t playing, then the team wouldn’t have made the playoffs, the playoffs wouldn’t be there.”
Carmellos agent, Jeff Schwartz, told ESPN’s Joe House that Carmeloa was a “very smart, hard-working and loyal guy” who had the right to have his career take a turn.
“At the end of the day, I think the league will be fine with him having the choice of retiring or not,” Schwartz said.
Carmela’s future in the league has also been in question. “
In a lot, I hope, of ways, it’s not the right thing to do, but it is the right decision to make.”
Carmela’s future in the league has also been in question.
“Carmelo is an outstanding athlete,” the New York Knicks’ president of basketball operations, Scott Perry, told the New Yorker this past summer.
“You can’t have a player of his caliber without a future.
He has two sons, and they’re all going to go to college. “
His career is over.
He has two sons, and they’re all going to go to college.
You can’t do that.”
In February 2018, the New Orleans Pelicans drafted Anthony with the No. 12 pick in a draft that also included the Los Angeles Clippers’ Blake Griffin and the Indiana Pacers’ Roy Hibbert. Anthony